8 values of Free Expression
One of the main things our country prides itself on is free expression. We are given freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly and petition through the First Amendment. The eight values of free expression connect directly to these rights and help explain why freedom of expression is so important in our country.
After looking at the eight values of free expression, the one that resonates with me the most is Protect Dissent. I think Protect Dissent is important because I believe people should be able to disagree with the government and express their opinions even when they are unpopular. I think having different perspectives is important because it allows people to question ideas instead of just accepting what everyone else believes. I also think protecting minority opinions is important because just because an opinion is unpopular does not mean someone should lose their right to express it.I think Protect Dissent is especially important when it comes to the government. People should be able to speak out when they disagree with a law, a government decision or something a political leader has done. If people were not allowed to criticize the government, there would be less accountability. I think the First Amendment gives people the ability to speak up instead of having to stay quiet just because their opinion might not be popular. Even though someone might disagree with what another person is saying, I think they should still have the right to express their opinion.
I also see Protect Dissent in action through social media. Social media gives people a way to share their opinions with a large number of people. I see this a lot on TikTok and Instagram, where people talk about politics, news and different issues happening in the country. I think it is interesting because you can see people with completely different opinions talking about the same issue. Sometimes I agree with what someone is saying and sometimes I do not, but I think seeing different opinions can help people think about an issue from another perspective. I think social media also shows why Protect Dissent can be difficult. When someone has an unpopular opinion, they can get a lot of hate from other people. People might attack them instead of actually talking about what they said. I think there is a difference between disagreeing with someone's opinion and trying to stop them from expressing it. People do not have to agree with each other, but I think everyone should have the opportunity to share their point of view.
Out of the eight values of free expression, I think Protect Dissent is the one that feels the most important to me because I believe people should be able to have their own opinions. I do not think freedom of speech should only protect opinions that everyone agrees with. I think it is even more important to protect people when their opinions are unpopular because those are the people who are most likely to be told to stay quiet. To me, being able to disagree, question ideas and speak out is an important part of living in a free society.


No comments:
Post a Comment